I was blessed with a pantry full of groceries this month from other people’s kitchens, so I set off to make a cake using only the ingredients I had at hand. May I introduce to you the
- 4 cups of Buttermilk Pancake mix
- 2/3 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can 30 oz Pumpkin Pie Mix
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease 9 x 12 cake pan
- Combine pancake mix, oats, sugar, and cinnamon in large bowl
- Combine pumpkin mix and eggs in medium bowl; mix well
- Stir into oat mixture just until moistened
- Spread batter (it will be very thick) into cake pan
I tried to make a streusel crumb topping but I got creative and added brown sugar to the mix. I think the wetness of the brown sugar (due to the molasses) kiboshed the streusel, because it became a goop. So I just spread the goop over the top of the batter and baked it anyway.
Here is what I used for the streusel crumb/goop:
- Combine 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1.5 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 1.5 Tablespoons brown sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in small bowl.
- Cut in 2 T butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.
- So it did not come out crumbly, it came out goopy. Better luck with yours!
Bake the cake for 35 – 45 minutes, depending on your oven. It is a very dense batter, so you may want to cook it at 325.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2/3 block of cream cheese
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of mik
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Mix it all together, one ingredient at a time to prevent clumping
Spread over completed cake and enjoy this dense, sweet mass of pumpkin and cream cheese! Nom, nom, nom!